Wednesday, February 13, 2008

thing 2 on a stick

I just finished watching the video and reading the suggested articles describing Library 2.0.  I agree with the ideas presented.  I think that the general public is shifting in the way it accesses information and communicates and we need to "get with the program" and be able to offer expertise in these areas.  We need to create ways that speak to people and offer services they need.  Case in point-the English teachers in my small high school want me to purchase print encyclopedias, subscribe to the print Reader's Guide etc.  and I feel that the kids don't get the information that way so we would be better off to spend what little money we have on online sources or additional computers in the media center designated for research purposes.  Any opinions on this?  I would love to hear them.  I am excited to proceed with this endeavor and am looking forward to learning exciting current technologies.  The frustrating part is that in learning this I am not allowed to use most of it in our school setting.  All of the security on the network and machines prohibits much of this- blogging, im, flickr,  you name it.  Hopefully my new found knowledge will help me encourage the powers that be to "lighten" up and live a little.  Later-

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

It is too bad you can't use it in your setting because there are some great ways to interact with patrons here. At least you are going to get to know more about all these sites as you work through this so you are more familiar with it if you get questions or are allowed to use it more later!

LeAnn Suchy
CMLE 23 Things Coach